Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Pamunkey Indian Tribal Office do?

The Tribal Office handles the day-to-day activities that are related to Procurement, Human Resources, recorded keeping and billing, physical distribution of notices, and membership.

In conjunction with the day-to- day activities, the Tribal Office works with partnering relationships regarding County, State and Federal Government Agencies to ensure our tribe is in compliance in all aspects of our role as a Federally Recognized Tribe.

How can I receive an application for enrollment?

Mail a request with a self-stamped envelope requesting an application.

How long does it take to receive a response when I send in the application for enrollment?

Once your completed application has been sent along with the enrollment fee ($50), council will review applications on a quarterly basis.  When council makes the decision, you will receive a letter in the mail.  Please be advised, if the application is not complete, council will deny the request.

If I am denied, will I receive the fee back from the Pamunkey Indian Tribe?

No, it takes the Tribal Office time and our own funds to process your request.

What other services do you provide for the enrolled members of the Tribe?

At this time, all personal services have been through the county and the State.  We have many brochures here in the Office that may be able to help guide you.

What does the Tribal Office NOT do?

We do not handle personal affairs off the reservation, financial planning, debt consolidation, child services, nor health services at this time.  There are many agencies outside the reservation that may assist you in these particular matters. However, we do have brochures from outside sources that may be able to offer assistance.  Please call the office for questions on such services.